If you have custom skylights in your house, you’re one of the lucky ones. A custom skylight helps to literally light up any room as well as enlighten the spirit of the people living in those rooms. Skylights don’t need daily cleaning for them to last for a long time but you have to do some occasional cleaning in order to maintain them. Consider following these practical tips:
- Wash them every two to three months – Use a mild soap with tap water to wash the inside part of your custom skylights. Wipe it dry with non-abrasive cloths so they won’t get scratches. For the outside part just let it get naturally washed by the rain.
- Monitor the skylight’s frame – The good news is that most frames of custom skylights are made of aluminum so you only need to use mild soap and water to clean them. However, you may need to occasionally paint the frames in case your house is near the seashore or ocean to prevent hardened salt from getting encrusted in the frame. Consult with the supplier that installed your frame for any recommendations regarding the kind of paint to use.
- Use proper tools when cleaning plastic skylights – When getting rid of dust or solid dirt found in plastic skylights and skylight covers use a combination of mild detergent or soap plus water for the solution. Sponge or soft cloth may be used to wipe it dry. Don’t use abrasive pads when wiping it because you will leave scratch marks. Also, never use a sharp object to scrape off any solid dirt in the skylight.
- Use glass cleaning solutions for glass skylights – Some skylights are made from coated or clear glass. Go to your trusty hardware or tools shop and look for glass cleaning solution with a mild formula to clean your glass skylight. You may also use mild soap and water but glass cleaning solutions are ideal to use. Just make sure not to wipe it dry with rough cloth or else you run the risk of getting marks or scratches on the glass skylight.
- Check your filter – There are skylights which have a filter and it needs occasional cleaning too. Carefully remove then wash them with regular home cleaning tools. If the filter is still in good condition after washing it, you may reinstall it but be open to the possibility of replacing the filter. Consult with your skylight supplier to verify if you need a filter replacement or not.
- Check for scratches and cracks – In case your skylight has cracks and scratches even before you try cleaning it, call your skylight supplier and report your case. It’s possible that you may need a replacement. If not, ask your supplier how to best clean it considering its current status.
If you think about it, skylights are relatively easy to clean but they also need to be carefully inspected occasionally to see if they’re still in good condition. If you live in Melbourne, there are different kinds of skylight repairs Melbourne skylight suppliers can offer. For information regarding types of Melbourne skylights products or cleaning tools, look up some options online. Try to visit Custom Skylights, for starters.
Business Name: Custom Skylights Name: Custom Skylights Address: 29 Holloway Drive, Bayswater, Victoria, 3153 Contact Name: Paul Jones Phone: 03 9761 1281 Logo URL: http://customskylights.com.au Tagline: Custom Skylights - Innovative, Quality Skylights - We let the Sky Light in! Trading Hours: 7.30am to 4.30pm Trading Days: Monday-Friday Payment Types: cash, cheque, direct deposit, credit card. Year Founded: 1990